The Politics of Change: Reflections on Contemporary Nepal
This companion volume to A Survey of the Nepali People in 2017 has been designed to provide insights into the general socio-political context in which the survey was conducted. The contributors provide perspectives on a range of topics to highlight issues pertinent to the changes Nepal has experienced in recent years, particularly since the adoption of the new constitution in 2015 and the 2017 elections. These include politics at the national and local levels; women in politics; identity and inclusion; the dynamics in borderland areas; and the challenges facing the Nepali economy. The six articles in this book are expected to make a significant contribution to the literature in the early years of federal Nepal.
- Politics in Federal Nepal by Dhruba Kumar
- State-Society Covenant at the Subnational Level by Krishna Khanal
- Women in Public Life in Nepal by Sanjaya Mahato, Bimala Rai Paudyal & Nandita Baruah
- Identity, Society, and State: Citizenship and Inclusion in Nepal by Janak Rai & Sara Shneiderman
- Marginal Gains: Borderland Dynamics in Post-War Nepal by Jonathan Goodhand & Oliver Walton
- Economic Transformation: What Is Holding Us Back? by Yurendra Basnett, Chandan Sapkota & Sameer Khatiwada