CESLAM Migration Research Fellowship 2019
Centre for the Study of Labour and Mobility (CESLAM)
at Social Science Baha invites applications for
to conduct research on various issues related to external migration from Nepal.
Migration is an important livelihood strategy undertaken by households in Nepal with multi-faceted impacts on all sectors of life and livelihoods. Migration has created a strong interest among researchers and practitioners in Nepal. However, there are still knowledge gaps on this complex phenomenon. The main objective of the fellowship is to provide an opportunity to individuals interested in issues related to migration to explore interlinkages that have not yet been addressed.
Number of fellowships: 6
Amount: NPR 110,000 each
Duration: 6 months (starting 1 July 2019)
The selected fellows will be supported by a team of experts at CESLAM during their fellowship as they pursue selected topics that are under-researched but vital for a better understanding of the complex nature of impacts of migration.
Applications are invited from interested candidates to pursue research on any one of the topics specified below. The selected fellows will have freedom in the application of innovative theoretical and methodological approaches in the study.
– Health and wellbeing of Nepali migrant workers
– Challenges faced by Nepali women migrant workers returning with children born in foreign countries
– Marriage migration of Nepali women
– Nexus between internal and international migration
– International migration and the situation of elderly care at home
– Migration trends in areas affected by the 2015 Gorkha earthquake
Applicants can also suggest their own topic provided they have strong justification.
Who Can Apply
The fellowships are intended for early- and mid-career researchers.
– Minimum qualification: Master’s degree in any social science discipline
– Graduate students (MA/MPhil/PhD) who have either completed or will have completed their coursework by the starting date of the fellowship.
– Recent PhDs (within two years of PhD completion)
– Independent researchers, including journalists interested in investigative journalism
Terms and Conditions of the Fellowship
– Recipients of the fellowship will sign an agreement with the Centre for the Study of Labour and Mobility at Social Science Baha.
– Fellows planning to use the fellowship to write their thesis or dissertation for a degree programme will be required to seek the consent of their university supervisor that guidance from the designated CESLAM researcher will be incorporated in the research throughout the fellowship period.
– Fellows will be required to complete their fellowship within six months of the starting date of the fellowship and submit a copy of the research output (thesis, report, or paper) to CESLAM.
– Fellows can use the research findings to write newspaper op-eds but will still be required to submit a full paper at the end of the fellowship.
– The research report will be published under the CESLAM Research Paper series.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to send electronic copies of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 April 2019. The fellowship will commence on 1 July 2019 and has to be completed by 31 December 2019.
– Cover letter
– An essay under 1000 words explaining the choice of topic, the reason for wanting to study it, how you want to conduct the research (methodology), and how this research is relevant to Nepali society and yourself.
– Curriculum vitae no longer than two pages
– Copy of academic certificate (highest degree only)
– Non-student applicants affiliated with an institution need to submit a ‘letter of approval’ from the institution granting permission to pursue the fellowship.
– Student applicants wanting to use the fellowship for their thesis/dissertation need to submit a letter from their university/college/department stating:
* The applicant has completed his/her coursework.
* The applicant has been granted permission to pursue thesis/dissertation research in the selected topic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.